Hey, lovely, welcome to Wellberries again! ♥
I’m really happy that you’re here right now, since today we’re making something super, super cute! These sweet potato cake slices are so delicious, and topped with rainbow / mermaid topping, fresh berries and other goodies – divine!
As you’ve most probably seen, Instagram is filled with oh so pretty unicorn and mermaid toasts, that are so lovely you would like to eat them all right away. Yep, me too! Anyways, I’ve been thinking about the (plant based) yogurt + toast combination. and for some reason it doesn’t really temp me that much in the end. But I really wanted to make super cute unicorn / rainbow toast myself, so had to come up with something else. And so I did, and I must say that the result was maybe even better I hoped!
Instead of toast I deiced to bake a cake, and make toasts out of that. At first I was all about banana bread, but in the end switched that idea to gluten free sweet potato cake. It’s almost like banana bread, but with sweet potato and dates instead of bananas. And I’m so happy I did so, ’cause the combination of mildly sweet sweet potato cake, yogurt, berry powders and other toppings is simply lovely!
I made the recipe in co-operation with Lejos, a company that imports Almond Breeze – almond milk and Nom Nom – 100% fruit “sweets”. Both of the brands suited well to the recipe, and because the cake is only mildly sweet, the fruit sweets were just perfect for decoration. Not too, but just sweet enough!
I hope you’ll love these rainbow sweet potato cakes slices as well – I must admit that I’m almost drooling while watching these pictures now, ha! Must make more, and soon!
Ps. Our favorite cake slice is there at the very end of this post – meow!
Cute Rainbow-Sweet Potato Cakes
Sweet potato cake:
about 300 g of sweet potato
3 dl almond milk
10 fresh and soft dates, pitted
2 dl oat flour
2 dl rice flour
1,5 tl baking powder
0,5 tl salt
0,5 tl cardamom
0,25 dl sesam or coconut oil
to each of the yogurt toppings:
about 4 Tbsp plant based yogurt, as creamy as possible
1-2 Tbsp sea buchthorn powder / blueberry powder / spirulina / beetroot juice powder, etc!
fruit “candies”, berries, coconut flakes, etc!
1. Heat the oven to 175 Celcius
2. Peel, dice, boil the sweet potato, until soft
3. Mix the pitted dates with almond milk in a blender, until smooth
4. Mix the dry ingredients
5. Add the almond milk – date – mixture into with the dry ingredients, and add oil
6. Line bread or cake mold with parchment paper, and spoon the dough into it. Bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until the cake is ready
7. Let the cake coold down well before cutting it!
1. Spoon the plant based yogurt into different bowls, and mix them all with different powders. Put into fridge until the cake is ready and all cooled down
2. Spoon the colorful and delicious toppings on top of sliced cakes. Use only one color or mix them!
3. Decorate with berries, dried fruits, etc.
4. Ready – time to feast!